Our activities

This website provides information on the Inspector-General’s activities conducted at the request of the Victorian Government, and under the Emergency Management Act 2013 (External link).

Providing feedback or making an enquiry

If you would like a response to your feedback/enquiry, please supply your name, and phone number or email address in the form at the end of this page.

IGEM collects personal information for the purpose of responding to your feedback/enquiry.

If your enquiry or feedback is of a current, operational nature, your information may be disclosed to other government agencies that have relevant information to enable an appropriate response.

For further details on how we collect, store and use personal information please view the Department of Justice and Community Safety Privacy Policy

Things we can’t help with

The Inspector-General cannot resolve individual issues, or provide personal advice and support. 

Complaints about services provided by government organisations or emergency management agencies should be directed to the public sector body or agency you are complaining about (External link).

If you are not happy with the way your complaint has been handled, you can complain to the Victorian Ombudsman (External link).

Reporting corruption or misconduct

Information and complaints about corruption and misconduct can be made directly to IBAC – the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (External link).

The Public Interest Disclosures Act 2012 (External link) ensures that people who report improper conduct and corruption in the Victorian public sector (whistleblowers) can do so in the knowledge that they will be protected.

Protections include keeping the identity of the person reporting improper conduct confidential and protecting them from reprisals including bullying, harassment or legal action.

IBAC handles your information and personal details carefully and in accordance with relevant legislation. If you are very concerned about your privacy, you can choose to make a complaint or provide information anonymously.

You can also report corruption and misconduct to the Public Interest Disclosure Coordinator of the public sector body or agency (External link) you are complaining about. IGEM is not able to receive public interest disclosures.

Feedback and enquiry form

Please supply your phone number or email address if you would like a response to your feedback